Activities in the studio have been unusual. We have celebrated Victoria’s graduation. Andrea made a fantastic buffet, her kind of art, and we set up a long table in the studio. Instead of a table cloth we had brown paper and a lot of color pens.
Now we are coming close to finishing the bathroom. The floor is done, mirrors are there. We are now waiting for the glass walls for the shower. While we are waiting there are a number of things to do…
Tomorrow morning the larger mirrors are coming up, hope we don’t break them. Lucas will do the mosaic on the floor in the shower also.
A big portion of the day was spent preparing for the graduation reception for Victoria tomorrow.
It has been a long day, entirely spent in the bathroom. A lot of things were done and the most evident accomplishment was the slate floor. A polished slate called Riverstone, 30×60 cm pieces – a lot easier to lay than mosaic. The shower will have mosaic on the floor also. Tomorrow night we will be able to use the bathroom, except take showers.
Not much happening in the studio right now. We are trying to finish the bathroom. The mosaic is there, looks good. Mirrors are coming up soon, walls being finished and floor will be done tomorrow.
Lucas is now doing some of the most difficult stuff you can do – setting mosaic. It is much harder than you can ever imagine and the most frustrating thing is that you think it is looking horrible and you keep going back fine tuning, fine tuning, fine tuning – and it just looks worse. But then when you do the grouting it normally looks really good! I guess it is a bit like painting – you have to be patient and wait for the result.
Well, I think I am now finished with the portrait. Today I added a much diluted layer of dark Cadmium Yellow. I let the paint run down the face for a while and then I placed the painting flat on the grass in the warm sunshine. The bugs where attracted to the yellow color. I guess they are called Lygus Bugs and are feeding on Canola. Fooled them!
But I did work on the painting a little more. Sometimes it is necessary to risk ruining everything in order to move forward. I decided to use white – half Zinc white and half Titanium white – and some linseed oil and just quickly and brutally paint the bright side of the face. I became quite pleased with the result. It almost looks like a mask over the face. Now the white will probably take a few days to dry. Creating is waiting.
Today I had a busload of Norwegian visitors in the studio. They were actually visiting the area to look at castles, but improvised a morning visit at Villa Holsby. They were very inspired and interested.
What shall I do next? Hmm….
Yesterday Andrea and I attended the opening at Höganäs Museum with silicone works by Mattias van Arkel and abstract paintings by Richard Ahlqvist – a very nice exhibition. We also went to Skärets Konsthall, for the opening of an exhibition with Britta Marakatt-Labba, a Sami artist who works with embroidered pictures from the Sami mythology and culture. Very interesting!
I have been busy in the studio, but mainly cleaning up and re-arranging stuff. I have bought some equipment and inventory from a man who has been doing a lot of framing, so now I almost have all that is needed to do professional framing. Nice.
The paint soaks in to the wood rather quickly and I can soon continue with another layer, this time green umber.
Immediately another round, this time purple, mixed more or less with green umber. A lot of linseed oil… Back and forth and then back and forth again…
These three steps within about three hours.
Tomorrow I will continue, but I don’t know how.
Not much happening in the studio right now, so let me share some pictures of a painting I did in San Clemente, Southern California, during our vacation at Christmas/New Year. I had not brought any material, so we had to get everything I needed (brushes, paint, plywood, etc) and then I had to be creative in order to arrange a “studio”. An old wooden stepladder was made into an easel.I took a picture of our host, standing on the beach in the afternoon light, gazing at the ocean. I cropped the picture and made a painting size 2 x 4 ft. When the painting was done, I applied a thick coat of resin (which Wayne bought from a surf shop) on the entire surface. For some reason the resin seemed to react to the linseed oil and it created a very un-even surface, which made a cool effect. I called the painting Watching for the Wave, as Wayne is an avid surfer. We stayed for two weeks with Wayne and had a fantastic time. One evening, as I was taking photos of the breathtaking sunset, I was able to catch the famous Green Flash! I had heard of it for more than 25 years, but never been able to see it. It was truly a flash – it was gone in a second.The photo is totally un-edited – it is exactly as the camera caught the sky and the sun!